Watching hummingbirds in our backyard provides so much pleasure. So, We like to invite them to our yard by delivering their favorite nectar. But, That also invite some unwanted visitor in the yard.
They discourage hummingbirds from visiting our yard. Keeping the ants away from the feeder is mandatory but isn’t hard work. A good quality ant moat can easily keep them away from food access.
Don’t worry! After doing in-depth research, I came out with 3 best ant moat for hummingbird feeders, which helps you to deter ants.
Comparison Table: Ant moat for hummingbird feeder
3 Best ant moat for hummingbird feeders
Hummers Galore Hummingbird Feeder Insect Guard
- Durable moats made to last
- Ready to hang with attached metal hanger. Fits most hooks an poles. Look for other Hummer's Galore products: Moats, brushes, and nectar
- Made in USA
If you want an ant moat with plenty of water capacity and durable made, then this red colored guard will be the best choice for you to keep ant away. Its red-colored tulip design helped you to attract hummingbirds more efficiently, as they are fond of red.
Another good part is that it has a dedicated metal hook to hang with any kind of pool and the feeder itself. Also, You’ll get a 2-pack of ant moat in the package.
Its 3 inches wider design has enough water capacity, which minimizes the frequent refilling. It’ll act as a bird perch to take a comfortable seat and drink water for a wider design.
If you’re confused about its quality, check out the user reviews that mention it as the best buy, and it got around 85% 5-star reviews.
Vintage Glass Ant Moat for Hummingbird
- Large 3/5 cup capacity for days of protection, you don't have to monitor and add water all the time.
- Vintage glass cup and stainless steel hook, never rust.
- Wide opening hook, easy to hang on tree branch.
- Attractive coloration for hummingbirds.
- Simply hang ant moat in-line between hook and feeder. Just swirl a little oil or water in the cup and hang it on your hummingbird feeder and oriole feeders.
Vintage Glass Ant moat comes with a beautiful, elegant design that increases the beauty of the feeder. In addition, It does its works perfectly, and the durable made allow it to last long.
Also, You don’t need to worry about frequent refilling or water spills out due to its large capacity. It can hold up to 4 oz water capacity. You can trace the water level for its translucent glass.
Its stainless steel hook won’t rust overtime use and is easy to hang on a tree branch. You’ll get 2 packs of the moat in the package.
It has a rubber bung at the bottom for the hanging piece but doesn’t worry; it won’t cause a water leakage issue. But, Few previous users claimed that it’s a little bit hard to clean compared to other ant moats.
Overall, It protects your hummingbird feeder from ants far better than the upside-down umbrella-style ant moats.
More Birds Ant Guard for Hummingbird Feeders
- Hang hummingbird feeder below ant moat with enclosed s-hook
- Fill ant moat completely with water and keep filled
- Crawling ants are reluctant to swim across water and are thus deterred from reaching the feeder
If you want a single ant guard for your hummingbird’s feeder, then you can consider this durable plastic-made ant guard. This ant trap ensures that ants won’t cross it and won’t take over the control of nectar.
Its combination of anti-rust powder-coated finish with the plastic made ensure that it will last long. Due to its large size, It has done its work perfectly and you. It comes with an enclosed S hook which allows easy hanging.
In addition, you won’t need to refill it frequently, and it is easy to clean for its large opening.
Related: 5 Best bee proof hummingbird feeder Reviews In 2021.
How does a hummingbird feeder ant moat work?
The concept of an ant moat is simple: Between the pool and feeder, there is a cup that makes obstacles for insects to climb the feeder due to the full volume of water in the cup.
How to install ant moat for hummingbird feeder?
Most of the ant traps are small cups. Those come with a rod or hook. First, You need to attach it with the feeder itself and a hanger. Pour it with water which creates a barrier for ants to enter the feeder.
What to fill ant moat with?
Fill the feeder with water. But, If you are located in the hot climate area, you’ll need to fill it frequently. To avoid such a situation, you can use a small amount of vegetable oil that coats the inside of the cups. And, It makes sure that water takes a longer time to evaporate and is also effective way.
More Tips to keep ant away from the feeder?
Here are few tips to keep ants away from a hummingbird feeder.
- If your feeder has any leakage, and will easily attract by its scent. And, This is the most common reason why ant attack. So, Find out any leakages or slits and fix them ASAP. Also, Make sure to tighten up loose parts if you have any.
- Use a fishing line. This method is a savior if you are living in a place where a moat isn’t suitable. It’ll make it harder for ants to get access to the nectar for a slippery and thin fishing line. But, You need to check that the fashing line is strong enough to hold the feeder.
- You can use some vaseline or oily liquids on the outer side of the feeder that provides you a better result against ants.
- Always clean your feeder. Sometimes, The mess of nectar invites ants to the feeder. So, Cleaning the feeder frequently helps you to keep the feeder ants free.
Yes, It’s frustrating to notice that ants quickly take control of the hummingbird feeder and demotivate our guests to enter our yard. In this case, Taking some steps can solve this issue. Among them, Using the best ant moat for hummingbird feeders is the easiest way to keep them away.
For this, In the above sections, I recommend some top-class ant traps that might help you keep them away.